Tomcat Control Tomcat Start and Tomcat Shutdown
In this tutorial, we are going to learn about the scripts in the Tomcat bin directory. We are going to learn on how to control the Tomcat server.
The Tomcat control scripts resides under the bin directory inside the Tomcat home (Where you have Tomcat installed). For the Unix or Unix flavored operating systems the scripts with extention ".sh" needs to be executed. For the Windows or Windows flavored operating systems the scripts with extention ".bat" needs to be executed.
In the bin directory, you will find other scripts as well. Let`s discuss them.
1. Catalina.sh and Catalina.bat --> This is the main Tomcat script. The function of this script is to run the Java commands to invoke tomcat control classes (Start and Shutdown).
2. Cappend.bat --> This script is only for the windows operating system and it`s function is to append the items to Tomcat classpath environment.
3. Digest.sh and Digest.bat --> The script can be used to generate encrypted password.
4. Service.bat --> This script is only for the windows operating system and it`s function is to install and uninstall Tomcat as a windows service.
5. Setclasspath.sh and Setclasspath.bat --> The script is to set classpath & environment variables.
6. Shutdown.sh and Shutdown.bat --> To shutdown or stop the tomcat server.
7. Startup.sh and Startup.bat --> To start the tomcat server.